Every week, our sessions are filled with a variety of individual and collective activities that bring our children’s social and ecological awareness to life. Our program is an indoor-outdoor program. The children are free to play in both environments with all toys and art materials.
Farm School has its own indoor classroom which includes a gathering area, art space, library, dress-up centre, construction zone, a full child-proofed kitchen, a disability bathroom and toddler and adult toilets.
Farm School has full access to the whole property including the dam (child-fenced), paddocks, fire pits, conservation area, playground, orchard, sandpit, sports court, the animals, and our community room. Much of our time is spent outside.
Our individual and collaborative projects have a focus upon the arts and environment.
Our projects often include:
- nature-art including drawing, painting and craft
- design and creation of outdoor spaces, and
- story and forms of literature
Our activities include:
- singing songs
- exploring the paddocks, bush, orchard and dam
- dressing up
- feeding the chooks and duck, and collecting eggs
- preparing communal lunch
- camping activities
- arts and construction activities
- caring for our farm animals
- bush survival activities
- juicing fruits and veggies
- exploring educational toys
- constructing with adult tools
- reading stories
- cooking in the open fire, and
- pursuing our individual and collective ideas and projects.
Our structure usually follows this sequence:
||arrive and reconnect
||hello song, democratic meeting… suggest and vote on ideas for the session, discuss problems
||activities based upon their ideas which may include small creative projects, animal therapy, farm chores, nature walks, their collective project, arts… see the list above
||share lunch inside or outside
||democratic meeting… plans for the next week including lunch and goodbye song.